Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Footloose

After spending the day in Q Bar watching a replay of the Milan v Seville Supercup, Liverpool thrash Derby County 6-0, Roy Keanes return to Old Trafford as manager and some US Open tennis while talking to strangers, I decided it was time to go when the people I was talking to decided to leave because the only people left were hookers and dirty old Mzungus and I was a drunken mess.

In the taxi, when we reached Morroco Hotel (which is a 5 minute walk from Elaine's) I decided I would like to walk from there, the taxi man said he would take me home
because Magomeni isn't safe and I could get mugged. So we drove until we got to Elaine's lane. As usual, nearby there was music blaring. My drunken curiosity got the better of me and I walked down. 2 guys were walking to it on front of me. There were about 25 people of all ages, dancing and 2 speakers taller than me playing rhumba music in the middle of a road. It seemed to be organised outside a hallway to some rooms where some families probably live. There were about 5 young boys watching and even a mother with her baby. It's 3am.

I got talking to 1 of the guys that was standing near me. After a while, talking to the guy, a short fat woman grabbed me by the hand and pulled me to the "dance floor". Nobody was dancing with anyone, just everyone was dancing. In my drunken state, I thought it was great fun. I thought to myself I would stay for one song.
About 20 minutes later the song still hadn't ended so I decided I'd sit down for a bit. I then witnessed the height of randomness in Dar. There was a man dancing with only a pair of shorts on (nothing strange about that, TIA !), who must have been very drunk as he had a big branch with leaves down the back of his shorts and he was doing such a funny dance I can't even describe. I laughed. He went inside the hallway and about a minute later walked out and continued to dance with a dustpan on his head.

As I re-read this, I'm beginning to think it was a "you had to be there" moment but I was in stitches laughing. The high volume of beer in my veins probably helped but it was brilliant. The guy was a champion !

I eventually went to bed about 30 minutes into the 2nd song which was about 4am I guess. The next morning I woke up with the nastiest hangover ever and mosquito bites. Around noon, we cycled about 10km to Kipepeo beach where we were meeting some of Elaine and Tende's friends. At one point on the road, the ramps weren't one single big ramp but 4 small bumps one after the other. My head nearly exploded every time I went over them. The beach was really nice. I went on a camel ride. Quite bumpy and especially when he went to stand up at the start and sit down at the end. Fun all the same.

No comments: