Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Taking care of the Mzungu

Just a quick post about a dala dala conductor I know to see and he knows me to see and he gives the impression he feels he has to mind me when I'm on his dala dala. He works on a Ubungo-Msasansi dala dala. The first time I met him, I was getting a dala dala home from work. It was full of schoolkids. He told a schoolgirl to get up to let me sit down. (This is quite normal as they don't pay as much as normal folk) She choose not to hear him but the schoolboy sitting beside the window beside her climbed over her to let me sit. After I sat down he gave out to her in Swahili but I heard the word Mzungu about 3 times.
He then said to all the kids on the bus something too as if he was giving out to them all. There was some more small talk but nothing worth reading about.

My next encounter with him was when I was getting a dala dala to Msasani to football.
It was packed. After he asked me how I was and I realised I met him before, he told me I could stand on the step which is a bit lower. (I'm too tall to stand up straight in a Dala Dala)
I was thankful to be honest as usually they don't let you because opening and closing the door can be a problem.

My final encounter was, again on the way to Msasani but I was with Elaine and we were going to meet people for dinner. This time, it was too packed to even close the door. Elaine made it up onto the Dala Dala, but I couldn't perfectly so he said I could stand on the step. My back facing the door and he told me to turn around so I could look out the door as we travelled about 40mph on the main road which had it's bumps. It was great, I felt like a child being invited to the cockpit on a plane and to add to that feeling, Elaine told me to be careful and not fall out.

It's nice having my inner child with the big lolly pop smile again.

No comments: