Thursday, July 5, 2007

Cycling in Dar

The next big step in living in Tanzania was the cycling. On my 1st day cycling, the plan was that Elaine and I would go to a HIV clinic that she was doing a project for. This was located at the south of the city. Elaine's place is located near the north and work, on the west of the city (about 8 km from the house). We left at 7am after my usual cold shower. After getting a puncture fixed on a bike wheel by a fundi (Tanzania's handymen) we cycled about 7km to the HIV Clinic. Some strange sights in the HIV clinic but honestly, I was expecting worse. We then cycled about 12km to work, which 500 metres from the office has an unbelievable hill to climb.

I actually quite like cycling around Dar, it's interesting to say the least. The locals try and get my attention by shouting (only thing I recognise is "Rafiki" which means friend. I know it from the baboon in the Lion King), probably because I'm white and they don't realise how broke I really am. Even the boys collecting plastic bottles from the ground are earning more than me right now. I also enjoy the cycling because it's crazy. Such an adrenaline rush. Cycling across the road isn't as mental as walking but the danger is still there. I have to be careful where I'm cycling, especially if I'm right behind Elaine as there are pot-holes the size of those blow-up exercise balls (I went crashing into one about the size of a basketball, on the 12km cycle) and what look like metal bollards (to stop cars driving on footpaths), which have been brutally cut with a miniature hack-saw leaving very pointy bits sticking up. They look lethal.

After work, when I thought the cycle home would be easy compared to what I already had done, but when I sat on the bicycle seat, I was in agony, and because we left the office later than usual, we had to cycle in the dark which is very tough, especially because the footpaths are full of stalls late in the evening as police forbid them during the day and the pot-holes/craters/bumps are even harder to see, but eventually we made it home.

Next Morning Analysis: My arse is killing me !!!!!!

Oh, and for dinner, Elaine asked me if I wanted to go out and get omelet and chips. Last thing I expected the guy to give me was a plate with a chip omelet in it. Straaaaange !!!

No comments: