Monday, July 9, 2007

Learning Swahili

Learning the language is a strange thing indeed. I read on the Internet that it is the easiest language in the world to learn. Grammatically, that seems true.
Unlike German, there is no gender in words, in fact the there is no gender differentiation at all. He and she is the same word. Changing tenses in verbs is simply changing one letter in the verb. That all seems encouraging but the difficult thing for me is the lack of similarity with English. German, for example, has alot of similarity with English.
Numbers sound similar, nouns sound similar, eg. sieben - seven. Wasser - water, but Swahili has nothing. 1 is moja, 2 is mbili, water is maji, no is hapana. In one week, I have learned numbers, up to 3 and some day to day words. It's a very slow process but it's mostly vocab, which isn't exactly my forte but I'm trying. Sadly, some of the Swahili I know is from the Lion King but people don't really use this unless they see a tourist.

No comments: