Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Getting There

Sunday 2ND July

The day started off with me waking up at 7am and feeling the sudden effects of having a few Guinness and beer from the night before. I was sleeping on the floor and Shane on a mattress beside me in the TV room as some of Ruth's engagement party guests had also stayed over.

After finishing packing and playing Madden etc, (a very close game, Bengals vs Giants, which Shane (Giants) sadly won by 6 points and I was in his red-zone when the clock ran out) we went to the airport. After a very long process of checking in my bag (where a child was so close in getting my fist in his face) and getting through all the security, there wasn't alot of time around the terminal, which suited me fine. Slept most of the way to Heathrow.

Arrived in Terminal 1 and knew my next departure was from Terminal 3. This was quite a walk with a heavy rucksack on my back and hand-luggage which also wasn't exactly feather weight.
Having about 4 hours in Heathrow, I found some Internet and then devoured a burger in TGI Fridays which was probably 80% of a whole cow.

It was in London when I definitely realised, travelling with long stops can be very boring, especially on my own..... with no Ipod.

The London - Doha flight was fantastic. Qatar Airlines all the way. Quite a good selection of movies/TV shows to watch and alot of good music to listen to. Rodrigo y Gabriela being the surprise album in the collection. I watched a bit of "Children of Men" but fell asleep, then some Scrubs and then Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

Doha airport is quite nice. Much nicer than Abu Dhabi airport in the UAE. Walking from the plane to inside was like a hot sticky slap to the face but inside was perfect. The plane going from Doha to Dar es Salaam must have had the AC on some special mode because it looked like dry ice was pouring from the ceiling. This flight wasn't as enjoyable but beats Ryanair any day.

Got a taxi with Elaine back to her house and used her hole in the ground toilet. Guarantee, I will have the leg muscles of an ox when I leave this place!

No comments: