Monday, July 9, 2007

The Weekend (7th & 8th July)

Saturday finally came, I needed it. I was feeling exhausted, long work days, cycling on average 16km, 20+ insect bites (which does tire you), different diet - African diet consists mostly of rice, potato, bananas and chicken but Elaine is a vegetarian, so chicken's gone.
On Saturday, after sleeping in, I was on the laptop when I heard what sounded like a chicken fighting with a cat, so I looked out the window and saw an old man holding down 4 hens by standing on a wing. Me being quite the innocent, still wasn't sure what he had planned. He then took out a knife and proceeded to butcher their heads off. The worst part was actually the fact he had to keep the bodies pinned down until they stopped moving.
We later got a dala dala to Mwenge to go to a market which had all the crafts etc, mostly for tourists. I love these type of crafts etc but the people running the stalls can be annoying when trying to get the attention and the people into their stall. Haggling down prices is normal but also a bit annoying.

After the market we went to a big shopping centre that clearly wasn't for the regular Tanzanian. Prices for all imported stuff, like Pringles for example, are more expensive than they are regularly in Europe. A simple box of crappy frozen burgers is equivalent to €6.
Most of the shops that weren't Tanzanian, were South African.

I've discovered that taking pictures is tougher than expected. I stood outside the house door and took some pictures of stuff and was getting some strange looks off people. I would love to take pictures of a dala dala full of people or a main road with the crazy traffic but if I do, alot of people would be looking with strange/confused/angry looks on their face. I hope by the end, I will somehow, get all the pictures I want. So, whatever few pictures I do take, they will be up on my Tanzania webshots account.

No comments: